Enabling residents in the Seiriol Area to improve their natural environment and health by doing conservation work.
Cwlwm Seiriol is one of six projects that have received funding from the National Lottery’s new ‘Creating Your Space’ programme. The aim of this programme is to give communities the opportunity to decide how to protect and improve their local natural environment in a way that makes a difference to them and meets the needs of future generations.
By 2023 the project hopes to achieve the following:
- Communities within the Seiriol Ward feel more confident and committed to managing their local green spaces.
- There is greater cohesion within local communities with local residents, community groups, landowners and businesses having been actively involved in the project.
- The Seiriol ward has fully restored and managed open spaces linked by a network of habitat corridors and footpaths.
- Communities draw greater benefit from their open spaces in relation to physical and mental well-being.
The Seiriol ward consists of the following physical assets:
- 50 acres of reserves, 40 of which are designated Local Nature Reserves
- 60 acres of undermanaged common lands
- 23km of Coastal Path through AONB designated coast
- North Wales Wildlife Trust (NWWT) Mariandyrys reserve of 6.75 Ha
- Bwrdd Arthur pavement
- Coed y Brenin Llangoed
- Aberlleiniog motte and bailey environs
- 5km of byeways suitable for the creation of biodiversity corridors
Cwlwm Seiriol Steering Group
The Cwlwm Seiriol steering group is made up of 14 individuals from the local area. They were recruited using an open selection process and possess a range of interests and skills that reflect the objectives of the Cwlwm Seiriol project.
Cwlwm Seiriol Newsletter
Please click here for Issue 1 of the Cwlwm Seiriol Newsletter.
Click here for more information on Cwlwm Seiriol events.
(Video by Simon Foster, BA Fine Art 3rd year student, Coleg Menai)